Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I'm a Wuss

I had a nice drive out to Kellogg, Idaho today. I always listen to ESPN radio on the way. Today Mike Tirico and Scott Van Pelt where talking about Tiger Woods and his impressive win at Torrey Pines in the US Open. It was a performance filled with classic Tiger moments such as the 15 foot birdie putt he sunk on the 18th hole to force the 18 hole playoff or the birdie on 18 in the playoff to force a sudden death playoff. It was impressive enough even if all you saw was the highlights. But it was more impressive if you listened and watched intently. All of us who watched any of the US Open this past weekend could visibly see the pain Woods was in. He had knee surgery not long before the Open and hadn't fully recovered and due to that injury, he had hardly practiced leading up to the Open. After each shot he hunkered over in pain, one time even dropping to his knees. The announcers kept talking about his knee not being 100% recovered, but today we found out it was far worse than anyone knew.

Apparently, about four weeks ago his doctors discovered that he had re-injured his surgically repaired knee to the point where he needed ACL surgery. Then two weeks ago they found a stress fracture on his tibia (lower leg)... Dude had a broken leg!!

The knee was injured worse than before he had the initial surgery and HIS LEG WAS BROKEN! He just played 91 holes of golf in the past five days and HIS LEG WAS BROKEN! He just walked the equivalent of about 8 miles and HIS LEG WAS BROKEN! He just won the US Open, which is regarded as the most difficult golf tournament in the world and HIS LEG WAS BROKEN!!

Woods said this win meant more to him than any of his previous 13 major wins; now we know why.

I have to say, what an incredible iron will this man has. His doctor reported has told the media that he advised Tiger to stay off his knee for at least six weeks upon discovering the fracture. Woods told him that he was going to play in the Open and he was going to win it. And then he did just that.

and...

HIS LEG WAS BROKEN!!

I have a lot of work to do in the yard at home tonight and was dreading it because of the massive blister I have on my hand.

I'm a wuss!!

3 comments:

Heather Olds said...

so...was his leg broken?

MVP said...

Blisters hurt a lot though...and you make me laugh btw

mysticmamajoy said...

I'm a wuss too. Mary and Paul and I actually cleaned the garage yesterday!! By 8 PM at night (when I was still working), I was moaning and groaning how tired I was.....and Turns had just got home from working midnight to 4 PM at the border - 16 friggen hours, and he only got 4 hours of sleep before he had to get back up at 11 PM to go back for another midnight shift. I am a wuss too.