Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Most Beautiful Place in the World

Ally and I are leaving today for what has become our yearly camping trip to the Lochsa river and the Selway Wilderness in North Central Idaho. This year we made it a sort of extended family camping trip with aunts uncles and cousins. Even my mom is coming. I don't think she has ever camped in her life and I am proud of her for giving it a shot and excited to have her along. I have been going there for a long time with my dad and he used to go there when he was a kid with his dad. That alone makes it a special place.

The trip usually consist of a day of fly fishing on the river and a hike into the Jerry Johnson Hot Springs (Beware of naked old men if you ever decide to visit, this hot spring is "clothing optional"). On the other day, we make an 11 mile drive up a steep one-lane mountain road towards Tom Beal Park, which is a base camp for a gigantic system of trails throughout the Selway Wilderness. Just before we reach the park however, we turn off into what seems to be just a dusty open spot next to a sheer cliff. Then you peak over the edge and you will see what my dad calls "the most beautiful place in the world."

Behold the Walton Lakes (Pictured is the lower lake) about 1000 vertical feet below the look over point. We spend the morning hiking down a switchback-laden trail to the lower lake and usually do a little bit of fishing in the lake before hiking up and over the hill directly behind the lake in the picture where there is a second lake. We spend most of the day here fishing. The trout are small but usually plentiful. Then at the end of the day we make the grueling 1000 vertical foot hike back out. But we're not there for the fishing, we go for the serenity of the place.

I personally feel a strong attachment to this place, probably a part of my dad in me and maybe a part of my grandfather who I never knew, but can only imagine what an amazing man he must have been. I always have loved coming here with my dad when I was little and learning all the things that his dad must have taught him when they used to come. He still today never hesitates to pass on little tidbits of information about the history of the land, the flora or fauna, or little stories or jokes about his past experiences here.

My dad is an amazing guy and I count myself lucky to have him and for every second I get to spend with him out in this place; his favorite place. He smiles just a little bit bigger and laughs just a little bit harder out here and it is obvious the respect he has for it and for his father who spent so much time with him here. I plan on coming out here every year I can for as long as I can and I hope he is there with me for many years to come. I'm glad he was there when I first shared this place with my wife, I'm glad he was there when I have shared it with friends, I am glad he gets to bring his wife here for the first time this year.

Someday, I will bring my kids to this place. I will teach them what my dad taught me and what his dad taught him. I will tell the stories and the jokes that he used to tell; I will make them laugh with a mustache made of tree moss. I will tell them, "This is the most beautiful place on earth."

And... I hope my dad is there to experience every moment.

Love you Dad!

2 comments:

Heather Olds said...

aww..geez. that's awesome, chris. hope u guys have a good time.

i think matt and i are now planning a trip to those hot springs you were talking about..

mysticmamajoy said...

It reminds me of the Nordic circle and how passionate they are of north...keep the passion going..it's what family heritage is made of.